Let’s start with a word to beleaguered Christians from the writer of the book of Hebrews:
Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.Hebrews 10:23-25 (NIV)
The recipients of this letter were going through tough times. The return of Christ was seemingly delayed, and troubles were all around them. The environment of animosity and persecution was leading to a crisis of faith.
Are you feeling beleaguered yourself, these days? Is your faith in crisis mode?
What does the writer of old suggest?
- Hold on to the hope you’ve confessed.
- When you professed your faith in Jesus Christ, has he remained your source of hope, or have things of this world tried to pull your attention away from The Solid Rock?
- Confess your sin of looking elsewhere for hope and security and proclaim your hope in Christ alone — The Faithful One.
- Consider How…
- You can encourage fellow believers on toward love. Don’t be afraid of a bit of exhortation to turn down the “hate speech” and turn up the “love.”
- You can encourage fellow believers toward good deeds. One of the best ways to encourage others is to model it yourself. Do good and grab someone’s hand to join you.
- You can keep meeting together. If your church is not able to gather, that doesn’t mean you can’t visit another believer or two…find ways to gather to worship, pray and study God’s Word. Don’t give up meeting with the Body!
- You can encourage others.
- When’s the last time you called a person that God brought to mind? Maybe they needed your encouragement, and that blip of a thought was meant to spur you into action.
- Is there someone who needs to be encouraged by a care package? Maybe you need to offer to run an errand for them or help clean their house.
- What gifts do you have? Are you letting them lie fallow or finding ways to use them to encourage fellow believers?
Oh my goodness, if these few verses are not for us today, I don’t know which ones are!
We need to be doing these things to our utmost — AND ALL THE MORE! Why?
Because the Day of His return is approaching!
Don’t let your circumstances get you down. Consider how you can press on for the Kingdom through acts of love and good deeds.
Grace and Peace
*Revelation 22:20-21 (NIV)